Who was Selby Library was named after?
The Selby Public Library is named in honor of William G. and Marie Selby. In 1955, they established the Selby Foundation. The purpose of the foundation is to improve the qualtity of life in Sarasota County and its bordering counties. The foundation focuses its grant making on capital expenditures. Where possible, the foundation prefers to participate with individual and corporate donors in supporting projects. A grant of $550,000 from the William G. and Marie Selby Foundation provided the largest single contribution to building the Selby Public Library. Other funds came from city, county, and federal governments and private donations.